Wholly Eva

Wholly Eva

Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Health Journey

Welcome to Wholly Eva!

Everyday I learn more and more about how to be as healthy as I can. Being a dancer, an athlete, fueling my body properly is absolutely paramount. My body is my instrument, and it is my responsibility to ensure that it works properly and I am able to dance in tune;)

I really learned how important taking care of my health when I was diagnosed with thyroid disease in Spring of 2012.  Prior to being diagnosed, I started losing weight, very rapidly. My energy was gone, I was dizzy all the time, my heart raced, I could hardly climb the stairs, and I just looked totally depleted. I lost 20 lbs in six weeks. I was weak and felt miserable.

Blood tests confirmed that I was extremely hyperthyroid and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Sub-acute Thyroiditis. I figured a little pill could solve everything and that I would be back in shape in no time. Unfortunately, Hashimoto’s is an autoimmune disease  and I could not be prescribed medicine until the Hashimoto’s had reached a sequelae. At that time, food was the only obtainable medicine and my only option to get better. I needed to not only provide enough calories for my body to function normally, but also enough to re-build my muscle mass. I knew that I could eat a box of donuts or an entire pizza, but rebuilding my body would require only the best fuel possible.

After visiting a myriad of nutritionists and Holistic doctors, I started learning about herbs, vitamins, and minerals that would help me heal mentally, physically, and emotionally. All of the Holistic doctors I worked with told me I was gluten and dairy intolerant. These foods, in addition to other allergens such as caffeine and processed sugars, were causing inflammation in my gut, where 80% of your immune system is located.  At the time,  I truly couldn’t wrap my head around the idea of eliminating food groups while trying to gain weight!

I worked with a personal trainer and followed a high-caloric diet that included lots of protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats.  I still ate gluten and dairy despite the suggestions I received. After a few months, I was able to take thyroid medicine and I started to gradually gain weight and muscle. Still, I struggled with fatigue and energy almost everyday, despite being at a healthy weight again.

I decided to go gluten and dairy free, I stopped eating processed food and I fueled my body with clean, nutrient dense food, eating organic as much as possible. Having enough energy was the last piece of the puzzle, and I am happy to say that I truly feel myself again! I am proud that my journey has forced me to take control of my health. I stand stronger than I was before, and am excited to share my journey with others. I am grateful everyday that I am supported my friends and family, and that I can dance and experience this gift that I have each and everyday.

2 comments:

  1. You have amazing self perseverance and motivation. I never got the chance to get to know you when you attended school in back bay but, you have a very inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Samirah! I hope you continue to enjoy "Wholly Eva":)

    ReplyDelete